We’re not going to get crazy in detail and tell you that in order to be healthy you have to follow a very restricted diet for the rest of your life. However, we do want to give you some simple and EFFECTIVE nutrition goals for your new year’s weight loss plans. We know these plans work because we’ve tried them ourselves, and we encourage all of our patients to follow them as well.
The goal isn’t to count calories because the truth is that giving your body less, in general, does much more harm than good in the long run. There is no target quantity of calories by design, as long as the diet is made of healthy foods, the body will match calories in and energy consumed until the optimal weight is achieved. The goal is to give your body the best nutrients and the RIGHT kind of fat, healthy fat.
So what are these “healthy” fats and why are they healthy? According to The Bulletproof Diet, some of the best fats to eat are pastured egg yolks, coconut and MCT oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, grass-fed butter, and fish oils. According to clinical research, the healthy fats in oil can prevent weight gain by increasing metabolism, increase absorption of vitamins, help nerve transmission, lower risks of heart disease, decrease blood pressure, and lubricate joints. Therefore, don’t be afraid of FAT, just stay away from the unhealthy polyunsaturated fats.
Here are some other great tips to start off your new year:
- If you really want to see a difference in your overall health, cut out gluten. Get rid of cereal, bread, and pasta and stick to brown rice, oats, and quinoa.
- Stop cooking with corn, soy, or canola oil and replace with EVOO or coconut oil.
- Remove processed and homogenized dairy completely. Generally, the whole dairy from grass-fed cows only is good for most people.
- Grass-fed beef, in general, is much better for you and TASTES better than grain-fed (and usually hormone injected) cows. Besides, cows are supposed to eat grass.
- Eliminate all synthetic additives, colorings, and flavorings. This includes aspartame, MSG, dyes, and artificial flavorings.
These are some simple and effective plans to start your new year off on the right foot. With today’s scientific findings, we see the damage that processed, hormone injected, and artificial foods can have on your body and brain. Eating natural foods will always be the best choice for your overall health.
For more in depth questions and specific diet plans, call our office for a consultation. Our facility specializes in overall wellness by use of acupuncture, nutritional counseling, physical therapy, orthotics, chiropractic care, and massage therapy. We strive to make our patients not only lose weight but boost their immune system. As our special for the new year, we’re offering one 1 hour massage, chiropractic consultation, and exam for only $80 for January’s “New Year, New You!” program. Call us today!